Back in the 1990’s, the man nicknamed ‘The Rainmaker’ for his gift to literally bring down the rain, Majekodunmi Fasheke, popularly known as Majek Fashek, was one of the hottest music exports out of Nigeria.
Contrastingly, these days, he is advanced in age and has lost all that youthful energy. That however, has not stopped him from being in the news.
News broke weeks back that the legendary musician was seen on the street of Lagos looking ragged, unkempt and begging.
image  I’m a millionaire and I have a bungalow in Ogba, Lagos - RAINMAKER, MAJEK FASHEK OPENS UP image1
In this interview with Encomium weekly, the reggae legend and little patience singer refuted the claims, insisting it is all media blackmail..
Q: How have you been?
A: I thank God, A Living dog is better than a dead lion. I thank god am still alive and among the living.
Q: What has the year been like for you:
A: It’s been good. I’m prophet of God. I serve Eledumare. I’m like Elijah,Elisha and Moses.
Q: What keeps you going despite everything?
A: The same thing, it is God. I am not God, He’s the one that’s keeping me alive,not anybody.
Q: There are many rumours and speculations about you. Tell us what is the truth from your end in all these?
A: The Nigerian press, the print in particular, not electronic,have been blackmailing me. They are trying to ruin me, writing all sorts of things against me. I was in America, I had to come back to prove them wrong. I am a Rastafarian man, a prisoner of conscience.
Q: It was said that you were roaming the streets begging. Tell us what happened?
A:These are my two movements i am a prisoner of conscience, And a prisoner of conscience and a rasta man does not avoid the poor. I cannot discriminate against the streets, even though i am a millionaire. I have ₴100,000 in one of the biggest banks in America. I am a father with four boys. What happened was the hotel i was staying didn’t have light and they didn’t put on the generator. I was so bored. So i went into the street to buy my self a drink. I like Guiness, sometimes Apeteshi. I use Apeteshi to consult with the holy spirit. Why would i as a prisoner of conscience, alienate myself the poor man and poor woman? The Nigerian print is trying me, don’t they want me to live and have a life of my own.
Q: You really mean none of it was true,that you were begging on the streets?
A:None of it is true.
Q: You’ve said all the stories are not true. So whats the true state of things?
A:The thing is that they are all rumors,God still kept me. It’s all blackmail.
Q:Do you have your own house?
A: Yes, I have a house in ogba,lagos. It’s bungalow. There was a beef,which we have settled.
Q:How about your health,how are you faring?
A:I am all right. I am not living by the will of man, but by the will of God.
Q: There was a time your family wanted to come to Nigeria?
A: I told them not to,especially my first son, Randy, he has a good job with the A merican government with a wife and children.
Q: What have you been up to since you returned?
A: I hsve just finished a record with A plus, which will be coming in August. It’s called Gangster Rasta and was produced by one of the best producers in Nigeria.
Q: What happened between you,prince wadada, Ras kimono and the others?
A: I don’t have any problem with them, they are my friends.
Q:How do you feel while all these stories about you were being reported?
A: I put everything in the Hands of God.
Q:How about your musician friends,how have they been helpig?
A:They are trying at least. Money is not everything. They are praying.
Q:Finally, what do you have to say to Nigerians?
A: I want my people, which i don’t want to call Nigerians because the name Nigeria is from nigga, also the flag colour must be changed to look like that of Ghana. I am prophesying right now as a prophet after Prophet Mohammed.
To my fans they must always stand firm in the Lord through trial and tribulation. We should be patient, even with Buhari. I support him and APC not in the begining because Buhari and Idiagbon killed my oga (Fela). I have investigated Buhari and found out he isn’t a thief. Be patient, i rest my case.