Wednesday 6 May 2015

ACTRESS YETUNDE WUNMI RECOUNTS HER 2007 DRUG ORDEAL..SAYS ‘‘I SWALLOWED RAPS OF COCAINE WITH OKRO SOUP’

Before 2007, Nollywood actress Yetunde Wunmi had enjoyed rave reviews in the media for her acting prowess. Although she has since moved on but that bitter experience is what she cannot erase from her memory. Even after making a film (Egbogi Oloro) out of that sad experience, the memory still lingers in her mind till this day. In an interview with city people she talked about her experience.

Excerpts:

How did you join the movie industry?

I started through my boss, Mr Sunday Akinola, fondly called Mogaji Feyikogbon. that was in 1981. Then I was 20 years old. There were no home video then, it was just stage play and he owned a theatre group in ipaja.

What were the challenges you faced when you started?

My husband didn't like it. We had four kids but we lost one. So he told me to make a choice between him and acting. After much begging as I couldn't let go of my passion for acting, he threw me out. I left and rented a room apartment with my kids.

Did you try marriage again?

Yes I did. He also didn't like me acting. It took intervention of people before he allowed me back into acting.

Is any of your kids acting as well?

Yes, my first child. She's 38 and she acted in my first film after the cocaine saga.

How were you lured into cocaine business?

I was introduced by a friend. Then acting was no longer lucrative, she told me to do it and the money she told me I will collect was huge, not thinking of the consequences, I decided to give it a try. God loves me, maybe if I was successful maybe I would have continued. I haven't even left the airport before I was arrested

How did it happen?

I swallowed the pills with Okro. The dealer was happy I swallowed plenty. My heart was strong, when I got to the airport, they told me I had cocaine in me. After the scan, I was ordered that I should be handcuffed. It was then I knew I was in deep shit. I couldn't pray for 2days. It was when they took me to my house that I began to feel remorse. All my kids fainted on seeing me. They took my car the next day, newspapers carried the news, so people were reading. The first statement that came from my mouth was, God please vindicate me.

How did you know you would be vindicated?

It was from my dreams. I had it three times before the judgement day, the court room was filled to brim. I was sentenced to 3years imprisonment or a fine of N1 million. The money was contributed at the court room.

Did you see your friends after that day?

No, I didn't, till date.

Have you missed any opportunity because you are not educated?

If am opportune to be back to this world, I would choose education first before marriage. I wasn't opportune to go to school, my parents were separated, and I had to live with my dad's younger brother. I missed so many opportunities because of this, I couldn't act in Papa Ajasco and many other film.

*** This message has been sent using GIONEE M2 ***

No comments:

Post a Comment